Stromboli is similar to Italian pizza, but instead of being flat, the dough is tri-folded around the ingredients. Typically, when one thinks of Stromboli, they usually confuse it with the more popular Calzone, where the dough is folded once over the ingredients to form a semi-circle, and filled with Ricotta Cheese. Most Stromboli’s that are available from Ristorante’s contain salami, pepporoni, ham, etc. along with mozzarella cheese.
I wanted to create a different take on the Stromboli and make a healthier version while also being easy to make in your very own kitchen. By using Pillsbury pizza dough, it is super easy to make, and I’ve selected chicken breasts and broccoli as the main ingredients, along with Nueske’s Applewood Smoked bacon and red onion for added flavor. I recommend using whole milk mozzarella cheese as it definitely makes a difference. To save time, a jar of high quality Marinara sauce such as Rao’s may be used for dipping.Chicken Broccoli Stromboli (serves 4) Ingredients: 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts 2 broccoli heads, florets cut into small pieces 4 pieces Applewood Smoked Bacon 4 Tablespoon organic garlic, minced from jar 1 red onion, halved and very thinly sliced 1 Pillsbury Pizza Dough in a can 2 cups mozzarella cheese 1 jar marinara sauce, for dipping Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Clean and cut chicken into 1/2 inch bite size pieces, cook with 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and EVOO.
- Clean and cut broccoli and cook also with 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and EVOO.
- Cook Bacon, and crumble.
- Halve and slice onion very thinly.
- Open Pillsbury pizza dough and carefully spread apart. Cut in half.
- Layer in this order on each side of pizza dough: 1 tablespoon garlic (run down length of center of dough-see picture), mozzarella, bacon, onion, broccoli, chicken.
- Carefully fold over one side of dough toward middle, and then do the same with the opposite side overlapping previous fold. Twist ends.
- This is the hard part – super carefully pick up stromboli and flip over on other side, so cheese is on top and creases are on bottom into an oiled sheet pan. Repeat for other stromboli. If one tears, just tear off some dough from the twisted ends and patch hole with added dough.
- Place Stromboli in oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat marinara sauce.
- When Stromboli is done, cut in half and serve with marinara sauce.