I can remember my mom always making Peppermint puffs at Christmas. They were one of my favorite candies. Filled with crushed candy canes… Oh, what a way to celebrate the season and consume candy canes in a different, more elegant fashion. What love!!!!
Peppermint Puffs Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 200°. Line a baking sheet with parcment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until white and foamy, about 1 minute. With mixer running, gradually add sugar in 3 separate additions, beating for 2 minutes between each addition. Beat until firm peaks form, about 2 minutes longer. Add powdered sugar, crushed candy canes and peppermint extract. Beat an additional minute to blend.
2. Dot coloring over surface of meringue (do not stir).
3. Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with 1/2″ tip, or conversely a plastic freezer bag with the bottom corner trimmed off.
4. Pipe meringue onto parchment paper spacing about an inch apart. Pull up as you go to form the peaks.
5. Bake merinques until dry, about 2 1/2 hrs. Let cool completely, about 1 hour (meringue will crisp as it cools).
Tip: Store in airtight container to resist meringue from getting sticky.
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes, crushed to a powder
- 12 drops red food coloring