Tahitian Apple Pie Filling
Have you ever bought fruit, and for some reason, it just never gets eaten? Well, here is a perfect example of what you can do with that week old fruit that has lost it’s luster. I used Gala apples, organic, and certainly a week old, and turned them into the best apple pie my husband and I have ever tasted. I’m sure any variety of organic apples would work. The crust is buttery, flaky, and almost chewy, and the filling has a bouquet of aromatic flavours that are complex and satisfying.
Ingredients (5) Organic Gala Apples, week-old, peeled and sliced, about 3 lbs. (3) lemons, cut into wedges (to coat the apples as you slice them) 3/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup flour 1 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. tahitian vanilla 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced Directions:
- Peel & slice apples, then immediately cover with lemon juice, as you work.
- Combine all sugars,flour, and spices together, and coat apples.
- Sift Flour and salt together in mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced to flour mixture. Turn mixer on medium and mix until lumpy.
- Lastly, gradually add 1/2 cup ice cold water to mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Roll dough into a ball and wrap with saran wrap.
- Chill at least 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, and separate into 2 balls.
- Cover work area with flour and dust one of the balls with additional flour.
- Roll out enough to make bottom pie crust. Place into a greased glass pie pan and press along edges and bottom.
- Layer apple slices in a spiral pattern and top with the 3 Tablespoons of cubed chilled butter.
- Brush edges of pie crust with egg white.
- Roll out top crust using flour as needed and lay on top of pie. Press the edges of the top crust to the egg white ends to seal, and trim any excess.
- Using your finger tips, brush egg white over entire top crust.
- Make air vent in center of pie by cutting an “X” with a sharp knife. Roll back edges of the “X” to open for air vent.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. To sprinkle cinnamon, hold hand high above pie and sprinkle so as to cover more evenly.
- Bake at 425º for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 350º, and cook additional 30-40 minutes until crust is golden brown.>